Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My New Bike - an 80s Motobecane Mirage Sport





Ever since last summer, when I had a couple of chances to ride a road bike, I've been wanting one of my own. The timing was finally right - Start of spring, lovely weather, sem is ending soon. Best activity for the summer - biking.

Buying a good road bike is a lot harder than a mountain bike. First of all, its a lot more expensive. A modern day bike with a titanium alloy or carbon fiber would cost atleast a 1000 bucks. So used bikes are the way to go. And if you look around hard enough, you can get hold of a nice vintage 80s european bike like I did.

Tips for buying road bike
1. Search for local bike shops which sell used bikes. Ask the people there as to what would be an appropriate bike for you.
2. Test ride a few bikes to get a feel for what is right for you. You may find out that you are looking for something different. Make sure you know your size.....its probably the most important thing for a road bike.
3. Post an ad on ur local craigslist. There are some great bikes available there. Follow it closely.
4. Always bargain. In most cases, u will get the bike for half the asking price.
5. Try and find local biking clubs and speak to members. They are a valuable resource.
6. Ofcourse, the internet. There are a number of forums where there is a lot of discussion and advice on buying a bike.

From just riding my bike back from the person I bought it, I absolutely love the way it rides. Its so smooth and shifts really well. And most of all, its fast, very fast. I can't wait to take it out on a long 30 mile trail. There are plenty of bike trails to explore around the twin cities. My guess is joining one of the many local group rides is the best way to get to know them.

13 comments:

Bobby said...

huh.. very american... very very... u already look like a 40 yr old to me! u'll get much older bikes here in chennai!

Artful Badger said...

i think i might buy one..
how much is it?..
looks good timepass in the summer..
and i was told chicago has good biking trails..

KP said...

if u look around u can definitely get a good one for $50 or less. and yes, if u can find good trails, nothing like it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Arbit said...

That's cool...cycling rocks..how had that 30 mile biking go?

Artful Badger said...

If blogged you wouldn't have random people offering you degrees.

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my usher lovers and friends site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

hi!
I totally agree with your passion. I own a Moto myself and I am hooked. The ride so well for their age... Although, the Truth, I always like them Older...
here's a pic of mine...
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/malaslenguas/moto3.jpg">

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey there:
Just a quick few words from the East Coast (NYC). I found this post via a 'Motobecane' search. I recently resecued a Motobecane Mirage from the TRASH (if you can believe it): just missing its chain. You got yourself a good ride: very strong, well-made frame, that can take plenty of punishment without failing. Classic geometry that you can't find today, what with all the massive, bulky aluminum-framed rides.

BJK

Jopower said...

I have a Moto Mirage. White w/1020 tubes and is (so far) original ~1980 save the luggage rack. There are some OEM Jap parts but the concensus is that these are better than the NM parts from previous years. You are right... these 10-speed roadies ride very nicely and handle well. The Mirage was a mid-range bike of the era but has many qualities you do not find on current models to make up for the simplicity. They take a beating and... (you get home!). The only things I'm adding are a pair tires w/large lug (nearly trail) tread. This is Colorado and we get weather after all. Rubber side DOWN is important!! This bike is so good it will out live me. Vive l'Mirage!!

Unknown said...

Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?
Used Bikes

KP said...

@Charles - thanks. If you send me your email id i can add it to my email list of followers so that u receive a notification on a new post.