Friday, April 15, 2005

Tamil New year!

Its been the week of new years. Its funny how different states in India celebrate their new year's on different days of the first fortnight of April.

I know that the Tamil Calendar follows the movement of the sun.I'm sure each state has its own little story attached to ringing in the new year. I was not aware of this until this year when I got to see it first hand with people from Andhra, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, Bengal and ofcourse Tamil Nadu. I always thought that there was Ugadi and Tamil New year and thats it coz we used to get a holiday only for those two in school.

Its also strange that Tamil New year is probably the only occasion( i wouldn;t call it a festival) among all the states to not have a proper name. I mean when there can be a Ugadi, Vishu, Gudi Padwa, Baisakhi etc why dont we have a name?

Hmmm.......anyway, here's wishing you all a Happy Paarthiva Varsham!!

How appropriate is it to receive a Panchangam on New year's day!!!!

No comments: